About Labour Business
Labour Business, formerly the Labour Finance and Industry Group, was founded by Harold Wilson in 1972. Today, it is one of the 22 socialist societies affiliated to the Labour Party. As such, it is the oldest, largest and only business membership group affiliated to the Labour Party.
Labour Business is the bridge between the Labour Party and the business community. It is a voice for the Party within the business community, and a voice for the business community within the Party.
Its mission is to bust the myth that the Tories are the party of business, and to establish Labour as the natural party of business by advocating a partnership between government, businesses and trade unions for a new and more sustainable kind of economic growth.
Our activities include business engagement, policy development, media outreach and member events. We work closely with the Labour Front Bench and Backbenchers in Parliament, with Labour City Mayors, with Labour Councillors and with Labour Party units nationally and regionally on business engagement and policy development. Our flagship initiative in 2017-18 is to secure the appointment of a Business Liaison Officer (BuLO) to work with the existing Trade Union Liaison Officer (TULO) in every CLP across the country. We have a federal structure which allows members to participate in our work both nationally and regionally.
Stay in touch
- As you will be aware, Labour Business is one of the 21 socialist societies affiliated to the Labour Party which has a right under the new leadership election rules to nominate a candidate for Leader and Deputy Leader of the... >>
- Chair of Labour Business Hamish Sandison has written again to Labour Leader Jeremy Corbyn to follow up our support at Labour’s Annual Conference for a public vote. Our key message is that members of Labour Business – and business leaders... >>
- A new report from Labour Business is highly critical of the Government’s taxing of freelancers through the off-payroll regulations. The report has called for significant reforms to the way that the self-employed are taxed and how it is governed and …... >>
- The latest Labour Business Policy Group has officially launched on the 23rd July, in the House of Commons. The two chairs, Katharine Slocombe and Frederique Prevost were joined by over 30 members of Labour Business, as well as a group... >>
- Our most recent survey of Labour Business members, conducted between 17th-21st June 2019, shows a correlation between our January 2019 survey (available here) and that our members continue to believe that the Labour Party should adopt a 'remain' approach to Brexit... >>
- Our Summer Party will take place the day after our AGM, on Wednesday June 19th in the West End of London. Our guest speakers will include leading Labour Front Benchers – details to follow. Venue: SIMONS MUIRHEAD & BURTON LLP,... >>
- Our AGM will take place on Tuesday June 18th in Westminster. Our guest speaker will be a notable Labour Parliamentarian – details to follow... >>
- If the letter is not visible below, click to open the letter... >>
- London, 8 March 2019 – The Conservative government’s reckless abandonment of British business since Prime Minister Theresa May triggered Article 50 offers Labour an opportunity to displace the Tories as the natural party of business, according to Labour Business, the... >>
Letter to Jeremy Corbyn to back a people’s vote endorsed by Hamish Sandison, Chair of Labour BusinessFull article by Sienna Rodgers on Labour List. Over 40 Labour donors and long-standing members have written to Jeremy Corbyn demanding that he “back a public vote without further delay”. The letter, sent to the Labour leader today, warns that “time …... >>